08 Jan Competency Based Curriculum in Kenya for Grade 1, 2 and 3
The newly introduced Competency Based Curriculum in Kenya under 2-6-3-3 System of Education puts emphasis on seven core competences, namely:
- Communication and collaboration,
- Critical thinking and problem solving,
- Creativity and imagination,
- Digital literacy,
- Learning to learn and
The new curriculum provides a variety of opportunities for identification and nurturing of learner’s potentials and talents in preparation for life and the world of work. It is geared towards making learning enjoyable.
The Curriculum Designs for Lower Primary are in four volumes. However, some of the learning areas have been adapted to suit learners with hearing impairment.
- Kiswahili Activities with Kenyan Sign Language for learners with hearing impairment.
- English Activities with Adapted English Activities for learners with hearing impairment.
- Mathematics Activities
- Environmental Activities with Adapted Environmental Activities for learners with hearing impairment.
- Hygiene and Nutrition Activities
- Christian Religious Education
- Hindu Religious Education
- Islamic Religious Education
- Movement and Creative Activities with Adapted movement and Creative Activities for learners with hearing impairment.